On the night of the 2017 eclipse my friend Susie had her first baby, Ava. How cool is that? Another excuse to make a quilt! Yay!
I had a fat quarter bundle of brightly colored batiks, and the latest issue of Quick Quilts had a pattern on the cover that I thought made a great combo. I must admit, it’s probably the easiest pattern I’ve ever done, and there was very little waste. I’m a fan of both of those things. I had to do some editing of the colors in the bundle because, well, control freak… right? So throw out the dark blue, add a green, and swap two yellows and ta da! And I just happened to have some yellow minky that was perfect for the back. It was only big enough if I left off one full row and one full column of blocks, but that made it a nice baby size anyway.
I cut out all the pieces and then went to the design wall to decide how the colors would be laid out. I used just one piece for each color in the mockup instead of laying out the whole thing. It was much easier to move things around that way. Although, I’m sure I ended up moving some blocks once all the pieces were on the wall.
The top came together very quickly and it was off to Karen for quilting. We struggled a little with the thread color but finally chose apricot over lime green, and the pantograph Seamless. Apparently little Ava quite likes her quilt! We aim to please. 🙂
Note: I did have some leftovers which I made into a pillow. Shocking, I know. I previously blogged about that in this post.