The batik leftovers were piling up. I’d used up a lot in the purple carpenter star quilt, but had lots of orange, red and yellow batiks leftover from the stole project. In fact the stole project didn’t use much fabric at all. I saw the Charming Fractions pattern done up in a local quilt shop and thought my fabrics would work nicely.
So a little bit of shopping for background, border and backing (isn’t that always the case?) and I was quilting again. It was a really easy pattern, and I was getting better with my seam widths.
The best part about this quilt was that I didn’t have any kind of a deadline and in fact wasn’t even sure what I would do with it. I just liked it. When it came time for quilting, I stumbled across a pantograph called Rotorua. I was smitten! When Rich and I first moved to New Zealand the city we lived in was Rotorua. I had to have this pantograph! Karen obliged by buying the pattern and I ended up using it a number of times. I still love it. She used orange thread on this quilt, which really pops on the black background.
I hung on to the quilt for quite a while, and eventually my church had an auction to raise money for a roofing project. I donated the quilt feeling some irony in that the fabrics had been originally purchased for a ministers stole. Anyway, the quilt did well in the auction, almost paying for itself. I felt that was as good as could be expected, since non-quilters probably have no idea how much things cost. I had lots of fun making it and was happy to do my part.